The most common incident that threatens your home's security is Burglary. There is no fool proof method to prevent it completely, but you can definitely take some steps to avoid it considerably.
Here are a few thoughts.
- Make sure you have installed a peephole in the front door and instruct all members to use it everytime. If there are children who can't reach up to the peephole, keep a side table for them near the door.
- Do not open the door to any unknown person. In case of a sales person or repair man, always ask for his identity card.
- Most cases of burglaries take place through windows, especially of the ground floor. Ensure that you lock the windows properly when you leave. IN case of sliding doors, place solid bars at the slide for best results.
- The front door, too, is vulnerable to such incidents. A shielding, such as a grilled gate, will provide the best protection.
- Lock jewels and valuable articles at the bank.
- Avoid discussing holiday plans in public where strangers may come to know about your absence.
- Install and set burglar alarm when you leave your home.
- Mark your belongings with the postal code or the house number. Take photos of objects which cannot be marked, like jewellery, etc. Keep the list with yourself or a give one copy to a trusted relative.
- If the garage opens to the house, make sure that its is properly locked at all times with a proper safety lock.
- Uncollected letters may easily invite a burglar giving him the hint there is nobody inside the home. Therefore, before you leave ask your neighbours to empty the letter box on a regular basis.
- Do not leave behind important documents. Leave them with a relative or preferably at the bank.
- When away for days, ensure that your home appears occupied. Using timer switches (to switch on lights at particular time) can be helpful.
And most importantly, do get a comprehensive Home Insurance policy that covers not just the structure but also the content of your house. We do understand the importance of our home but somehow tend to ignore the importance of home insurance. Most of us tend to underestimate it's importance, until we experience such incidents. Do not wait for a mishap to occur. Get Home Insurance policy now.
Click here to avail a comprehensive home insurance policy online
and safeguard yourself against burglary.